P40, P80 and PK80: a range of heavy duty badge readers
The P40, P80 and PK80 FDI readers meet the IP65 and IK10 protection and resistance ratings.
What is the IP65 protection rating?
The protection index known as IP (originally “Ingress Protection”) is an international standard of the International Electrotechnical Commission relating to sealing.
The protection indices are expressed in the following format:
- Two letters: “IP”,
- A first number from 0 to 6 designates the resistance to the intrusion of solid bodies (dust),
- A second number from 0 to 8 designating the resistance of the object against water
The higher the numbers, the more resistant the product is to the characteristic studied.
Regarding solid body sealing:
- 0 : no protection.
- 1: protection against solid bodies > 50 mm.
- 2: protection against solid bodies > 12 mm.
- 3: protection against solid bodies > 2.5 mm.
- 4: protection against solid bodies > 1mm.
- 5: protection against dust deposits.
- 6: protection against dust penetration.
Regarding liquid resistance:
- 0 : no protection,
- 1: protection against water drops on a device in normal position,
- 2: protection against water drops with a maximum inclination of 15°,
- 3: protection against rainwater if the latter does not exceed 60°,
- 4: protection against splashes and sprays,
- 5: protection against water jets from a hose,
- 6: protection against powerful water jets from a hose,
- 7: protection during temporary immersion,
- 8: protection during prolonged immersion,
- 9: protection against steam and high pressure cleaning.
The P40, P80 and PK80 FDI readers are therefore resistant to dust intrusion and can withstand water jets from a hose.
What about the IK10 standard?
IK is also a protection index that relates to the mechanics. In this case, it reflects the level of resistance of electrical or electronic devices against shocks.
The IK index spans a scale of 11 levels, from minimum to maximum:
- IK00 : no protection,
- IK10 : 20 joules shock protection.
The FDI “P” series badge readers meet the IK10 standard and resist shocks up to 20 joules.